Notices

Old 08-04-2012, 12:57 PM   #476
mattic
Paradox

I see these making a difference:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkin' Dan View Post
and was on the same day as Eagles and Glory home games
one during a holiday period that traditionally sees a shitload of people leave the city
I don't see these as an insurmountable obstacle:
Quote:
a game that only existed a few days ago
a game for which everyone had to actively go out & buy tickets
a game for which 1 day was available
Quote:
and had ticketing system issues on that day
Did those issues result in people who wanted to buy tickets not being able to get them in time for tip off?

And, remember, I commented very specifically about you and others talking about "late notice". I even quoted precisely the part of your post I was addressing. I even cut out anything else so you could be left in no doubt as to what I was talking about. Surely you're not that dumb to argue against my point with stuff that you didn't mention in the post to which I was replying and that I haven't mentioned having a problem with.

You and Walli really are totally interchangeable sometimes

Last edited by mattic; 08-04-2012 at 05:42 PM.
mattic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #477
Dunkin' Dan
Hasa Diga Eebowai

Oh, ok, so you really are that silly then.
You really, honestly, don't understand how having one day - a working day - to buy tickets would make a difference to the attendance compared to a typical game that has tickets available for a week.
Well then sorry, I don't think I can help you.
You and a troll really are totally interchangeable sometimes.
Dunkin' Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:40 PM   #478
thomnuffy
Boards+ Member

Back to the game - now that I've collected my thoughts a little.

I thought we played great - anytime you shoot 51% from the field you've got to be pretty happy.

Not that it had an affect on the game, but I was frustrated by the fact that the referees determined there was no time on the clock before 1/4 time after robbins foul. Either the foul occurred before the quarter expired and there was time left on the clock for us to inbound after the made freethrow, or the quarter had ended so there wasn't a foul - I can't see how it could be a combination of the too!

Generally though, I thought we were on the benefit of most of the reffing - I felt particularly under their basket we got a lot of no-calls for some pretty physical defence that was called differently at the other end, but not enough to affect the outcome of the game.

With harvey playing, it could have been a different result...

Last edited by thomnuffy; 08-04-2012 at 02:44 PM.
thomnuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #479
gangsta boo
Dorothy McShane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachmo View Post
I was thinking that last night. Does he have Goorijan to thank for his big contracts?

As he certainly hasn't been living up to them.
Maybe he works better as part of a strong ensemble team (he might even work well as a wildcat) as opposed to seemingly being the main guy

Gene: What as opposed to one of those I-really-really-like-you sort of murders?
gangsta boo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #480
Agent 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangsta boo View Post
Maybe he works better as part of a strong ensemble team (he might even work well as a wildcat) as opposed to seemingly being the main guy
Deleon, Gibson, Petrie - I wouldnt say Worthington is the main guy, he has a great cast of players around him... I thought all series he was very lazy, when your a 4 playing the 3 position and you got guys like Tovey/Robbins on you, id be parking myself on the low block and going to work. Instead he chose the outside game and that played into the Cats hands.

He also spent too much time on the floor, especially in game 3.
Agent 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #481
mattic
Paradox

Quote:
Oh, ok, so you really are that silly then.
You really, honestly, don't understand how having one day - a working day - to buy tickets would make a difference to the attendance compared to a typical game that has tickets available for a week.
Well then sorry, I don't think I can help you.
You and a troll really are totally interchangeable sometimes.
If you want to go to the game, nothing you suggested is an insumountable obstacle. I cannot imagine a circumstance where I could not make a phone call in a 24hour period. Your days, as the evidence suggests, must be really busy thinking up ways to argue with me about things I haven't said. You just make a chump of yourself every single time, don't you?
Old 08-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #482
Agent 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattic View Post
If you want to go to the game, nothing you suggested is an insumountable obstacle. I cannot imagine a circumstance where I could not make a phone call in a 24hour period. Your days, as the evidence suggests, must be really busy thinking up ways to argue with me about things I haven't said. You just make a chump of yourself every single time, don't you?
I wish I could be as cool as you...

Last edited by hellcat; 09-04-2012 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Infraction: trolling/ignoring on topic request
Agent 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #483
CGG

Quote:
I'm open to correction, but haven't the 'Cats members said that they had 3 hours from 9 - 12 on Thursday to secure their tickets and the Ticketek system went down? I've worked many places where personal calls were not allowed during work hours and it would certainly not have made my boss happy for me to be on a personal call for an hour trying to get the situation sorted. I've got to say though that there were a lot fewer empty seats at Challenge than there were at the GCCEC, so for that to be worthy of comment says an awful lot about crowds at the two venues.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #484
paul

Quote:
I don't understand this. NZ commentators made a similar comment.

It was always a possibility that there would be a game; and everybody knew exectly when and where. 24hrs (48, in the case of the NZ game) is ample time to make a purchase, so what's the problem?
While some people follow the league very closely and make their plans around the basketball, I think a lot of fans who attend games during the season dont, and one day's notice probably isnt enough.

For as long as I can remember games with short notice attract lower than usual crowds.

When you have a week in advance more people who want to go are a) likely to know it is on, b) be able to juggle other commitments/babysitters/work etc and c) communicate with the people they go with and arrange for tickets to be bought. While some people can just make this happen, others cant.
paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #485
alleyoop

Quote:
I don't think it's an issue for those who know about and want to go to the game. But a shorter time period between games does mean less opportunity to market the game to a fan who didn't know the game was on, or less time for that person to hear about it via word of mouth or seeing an article on the news.
alleyoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #486
thomnuffy
Boards+ Member

I can't believe I'm about to feed the troll, but...

Quote:
If this were true then why don't all events put their tickets on sale for just 24 hours? Surely if anyone can make a phonecall in a 24 hour period then they wouldn't need any extra time to sell or promote their event?
thomnuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:57 PM   #487
Dunkin' Dan
Hasa Diga Eebowai

I have no idea why insumountable [sic] obstacle is now in the conversation anyway. An irrelevant point being introduced to the conversation by the person who in their very same post got all high and mighty about extra things being introduced. Too funny!

The crowd was well down on every other crowd this season, for a collection of reasons that any reasonable non-troll can quite clearly comprehend.
Could another 500 have made it along if their lives had literally depended on their attendance at the game on that night? Yes. Relevance of this? None.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:22 AM   #488
mattic
Paradox

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
I'm open to correction, but haven't the 'Cats members said that they had 3 hours from 9 - 12 on Thursday to secure their tickets and the Ticketek system went down? I've worked many places where personal calls were not allowed during work hours and it would certainly not have made my boss happy for me to be on a personal call for an hour trying to get the situation sorted. I've got to say though that there were a lot fewer empty seats at Challenge than there were at the GCCEC, so for that to be worthy of comment says an awful lot about crowds at the two venues.
Of course, in those circumstances there is obviously going to be difficulties and people missing out.

Not directed at you from here on, CGG.
I was commenting on a clear, unobstructed 24hr window, as stated; AND NOTHING ELSE. For a game the date and time of which has been set for a week and the date and time of the beginning of the notice was also set in advance and known. If you want to introduce new information after the fact, feel free and kindly allow me to comment on it before you use it as an arguement against my comments on an entirely different set of circumstances.

Last edited by mattic; 09-04-2012 at 01:37 AM.
mattic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:24 AM   #489
mattic
Paradox

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomnuffy View Post
If this were true then why don't all events put their tickets on sale for just 24 hours? Surely if anyone can make a phonecall in a 24 hour period then they wouldn't need any extra time to sell or promote their event?
Of course the more time the better. My point is that I don;t find 24hrs notice an insurmountable obstacle.

You numpties reaslly need to L2Read and L2Argue.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:33 AM   #490
SB.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver78 View Post
Noticed Wortho reading the Showtime magazine during the shoot-around when the doors first opened - Not too interested in tonight's game perhaps? Guess that reflects his game tonight.
I knew it was over when watching the "juxtaposition" between the Wildcats players arm in arm and the Blaze players a comfortable two feet from one another during the national anthem. Team vs collection of individuals.
SB.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:34 AM   #491
mattic
Paradox

Quote:
I have no idea why insumountable [sic] obstacle is now in the conversation anyway. An irrelevant point being introduced to the conversation by the person who in their very same post got all high and mighty about extra things being introduced. Too funny!
Dear, oh dear. You really don't get it do you, love? The 24hrs notice was being presented as the reason for low attendance. I say that they knew a game might be on and, if it was, exactly when it was going to be on. Given that, I don't see 24hrs notice as being an insurmountable problem.

Don't point out typos, dearie, it just makes you look what you are: desperate.

Quote:
The crowd was well down on every other crowd this season, for a collection of reasons that any reasonable non-troll can quite clearly comprehend.
A collection of reasons which you made after I had commented on the ONE that you brought up at the time. You can't change things, it's there in black and white. You always try, but you cannot.
Quote:
Could another 500 have made it along if their lives had literally depended on their attendance at the game on that night? Yes. Relevance of this? None.
The point is, that the time and place of this game was no surprise to anyone, it's been set for at least a week. The only thing that was short notice was the fact that is was on. There was ample time to prepare for that eventuality and plan to get tickets. People even knew precisely when they would know it was on.

No, I agree it may be a factor, but presenting it as the only and telling factor as you did deserved my comment and still stands.

As usual, you'll have to do much, much better than that, Danny boy.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:38 AM   #492
Dunkin' Dan
Hasa Diga Eebowai

Quote:
My point is that I don;t find 24hrs notice an insurmountable obstacle.
Your "point" is irrelevant since no one said it was insurmountable.

Quote:
You numpties reaslly need to L2Read and L2Argue.
No, clearly u need 2 if ur way out of this is 2 rely on the ridiculous xtreme of "insurmountable" in order 4 ur point 2 b valid.

Last edited by hellcat; 09-04-2012 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Infraction: inappropriate language (removed)
Old 09-04-2012, 01:38 AM   #493
SB.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomnuffy View Post
Not that it had an affect on the game, but I was frustrated by the fact that the referees determined there was no time on the clock before 1/4 time after robbins foul. Either the foul occurred before the quarter expired and there was time left on the clock for us to inbound after the made freethrow, or the quarter had ended so there wasn't a foul - I can't see how it could be a combination of the too!
I have seen this many times this season, and unless our coach and players are protesting (which they usually for some reason aren't) then I let it go. Given our terrible execution in such scenarios it's probably a good thing
SB.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:41 AM   #494
mattic
Paradox

Quote:
Your "point" is irrelevant since no one said it was insurmountable.
Where did I say they did? I merely comment on your "Oh noes! No crowd coz of the late notice!" comment
Old 09-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #495
hellcat
photo geek

On topic.