TheBoards

Go Back   TheBoards > Basketball > National Basketball League

Notices

Old 16-12-2009, 11:10 AM   #1
Jive Turkey
Default Where are they now ?

Thought I would start a thread devoted to Australian basektball's "forgotten generation", ie players who have, for various reasons, drfited quietly off the NBL scene over the past couple of years with little to no commemoration of fanfare.

I think it's a real shame that some great servants of the National League have just slipped quietly away like they have in recent times, probably largely due to the focus being more on whether the league as a whole and or clubs themselves would continue.

Anyway, here's a couple of guys I'd be curious to hear something about if anyone knows their current status or whereabouts.

Steven Black - M.I.A. since being forced out in the early weeks of last season (?) due to an ongoing back (?) injury. I was a real fan of this bloke and it would be a great shame if we don't see him again in the NBL.

Darnell Mee - needs no introduction, I presume he retired at the end of last season ? A shame that he has just slipped quietly away without any sort of recognition for his great career.

David Stiff - retired I presume ??

These are just three guys that immediately came to mind, I'm sure there are many many others who have, unfortunately, just vanished quietly from the scene.

The idea of this thread is for anyone who, like me, is curious about a certain player(s) to list them and for others who have information about them to provide that in response.

Last edited by Jive Turkey; 16-12-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 11:52 AM   #2
Mr Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Thought I would start a thread devoted to Australian basektball's version of the "stolen generation", ie players who have, for various reasons, drfited quietly off the NBL scene over the past couple of years with little to no commemoration of fanfare.
I generally think political correctness is overused, but in this case, the llight hearted nature associated of the stolen generation reference I'm guessing is not going to be appreciated by some.

The post in general though is quality, and i also would really like to know the status of these former players.
Mr Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 12:06 PM   #3
Julian

Haha, the stolen generation jibe was my favourite part of the post.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 12:09 PM   #4
Jive Turkey

ammended to "forgotten generation"
Old 16-12-2009, 12:10 PM   #5
Julian

Boo!
Old 16-12-2009, 01:00 PM   #6
Julian

Where in the World Is Ernest Nzigamasabo?
Old 16-12-2009, 01:15 PM   #7
j-mac

Stiffy was hoping to continue with the Tigers last season, but they didn't re-sign him.
I assume it was because of the points cap, as Adrien Sturt was our back-up cantre at the start of the season.
Old 16-12-2009, 01:23 PM   #8
Mr Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
ammended to "forgotten generation"

what about the next generation?

Last edited by Mr Black; 24-09-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Mr Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 02:27 PM   #9
SB.1

Aaron Olsen? Another quality player who dropped off the face. Apparently lost interest.
SB.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 04:36 PM   #10
Skindog the Hawk

Send a message via ICQ to Skindog the Hawk Send a message via MSN to Skindog the Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
Where in the World Is Ernest Nzigamasabo?
Coaching at Norths in Sydney when I last saw him.

SD.
Old 16-12-2009, 05:12 PM   #11
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skindog the Hawk View Post
Coaching at Norths in Sydney when I last saw him.

SD.
Plays Lunchtime basketball at King George IV rec centre in Sydney CBD
Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 05:15 PM   #12
Twinkletoes

Darnell Mee - Didnít retire at the end of last season. He was keen to play on this season but after part of the Taipans roster had been assembled he found out through the newspaper that he wasnít in Aaron Fearneís plans. Whilst he expressed his disappointment at how that was handled (not letting him know personally) he accepted the decision gracefully and mentioned he wanted to get into coaching at some point.

I think he was open to being picked up by another club but with the reduced amount of teams plus his age, that wasnít all that likely to happen.

I think he may have returned to the US but Iím not sure about that.

Stephen Black - Black was trying to get himself back on track physically, after having his back operation last season. The last I heard, he had a couple of pre-season workouts \ shoot arounds with Aaron Fearne but nothing came of it. From what Fearne said, Black was still some way off being up to it physically (at that point anyway).

His partner had a teaching position at a local primary school but whether theyíre still here now, I donít know.
Twinkletoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 05:18 PM   #13
bucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkletoes View Post
Stephen Black - Black was trying to get himself back on track physically, after having his back operation last season. The last I heard, he had a couple of pre-season workouts \ shoot arounds with Aaron Fearne but nothing came of it. From what Fearne said, Black was still some way off being up to it physically (at that point anyway).

His partner had a teaching position at a local primary school but whether theyíre still here now, I donít know.
Black was at the Gold Coast V 36ers game last week. He was sitting in the Hoop 2 Hoop corporate box.
bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 05:59 PM   #14
Jive Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkletoes View Post
Darnell Mee - Didnít retire at the end of last season. He was keen to play on this season but after part of the Taipans roster had been assembled he found out through the newspaper that he wasnít in Aaron Fearneís plans. Whilst he expressed his disappointment at how that was handled (not letting him know personally) he accepted the decision gracefully and mentioned he wanted to get into coaching at some point.

I think he was open to being picked up by another club but with the reduced amount of teams plus his age, that wasnít all that likely to happen.

I think he may have returned to the US but Iím not sure about that.

Good one TT, thanks for that ! Gee I hope Stephen Black can get back on court one day, would be such a shame if he went out like that.
Old 16-12-2009, 06:29 PM   #15
WilloWildWaves

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Black was at the Gold Coast V 36ers game last week. He was sitting in the Hoop 2 Hoop corporate box.
think I can remember Steve telling me he had a coaching job in Brisbane
Old 16-12-2009, 06:35 PM   #16
Julian

What about that referee Tom Mills, how does he get off nowadays without the Challenge crowd?

Last edited by Skindog the Hawk; 16-12-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 16-12-2009, 08:32 PM   #17
Mad Mike

Stephen Black is coaching South West Pirates in the QABL next year. Seems to suggest that his playing career is over and he's moving into coaching now.
Mad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 12:26 AM   #18
SB.1

Quote:
What about that referee Tom Mills, how does he get off nowadays without the Challenge crowd?
I'd say he's just writing up little old ladies for twice the amount of traffic offences.
SB.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 01:18 AM   #19
Julian

Quote:
Calling a spade a spade = infraction? Noted.
Old 17-12-2009, 01:58 AM   #20
Bring back the Bullets

Yeah it looks like Black's NBL career is over unfortunately. I will certainly miss the sweet three point shooting and the cross over dribble three.

To be honest, the amount he went through with his back and what he used to have to do just to get out on the court I'm surprised he is able to walk.

Great player and great guy to boot.
Bring back the Bullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 05:05 PM   #21
fan since the old snakepit

Having watched and listened to Blacks contributions in timeouts I would predict a bright coaching future. Recall a time out late in a game for the Bullets a few years ago on Fox. Think it was a big game against the Tigers and the Bullets had an import guard who came in later in the season and was not that good. Joey drew up the play for Black as they needed a 3 for the win or draw(cant remember) just as the timeout was about to end Blackie buts in (and Joey was happy to let him) and explained how the D would most probably rotate to him, told the import to spot up in the left baseline corner and he would hit him with the extra pass. Joey nodded,they ran the play, it unfolded just as Blackie said and the guy hit the open three. The guy knows the game and has since I first saw him as a 14y old kid knocking around the snakepi.
fan since the old snakepit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 05:12 PM   #22
Alex_Traitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan since the old snakepit View Post
Having watched and listened to Blacks contributions in timeouts I would predict a bright coaching future. Recall a time out late in a game for the Bullets a few years ago on Fox. Think it was a big game against the Tigers and the Bullets had an import guard who came in later in the season and was not that good. Joey drew up the play for Black as they needed a 3 for the win or draw(cant remember) just as the timeout was about to end Blackie buts in (and Joey was happy to let him) and explained how the D would most probably rotate to him, told the import to spot up in the left baseline corner and he would hit him with the extra pass. Joey nodded,they ran the play, it unfolded just as Blackie said and the guy hit the open three. The guy knows the game and has since I first saw him as a 14y old kid knocking around the snakepi.
A coaching masterstroke worthy of the NBA!
Alex_Traitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 05:20 PM   #23
Wild 1

Quote:
hahaha

He probably has many of his games on tape to help him.... =D

KingJamesXXIII
NBL Dream Team FB Page - https://www.facebook.com/NBLDreamTeam
Wild 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2009, 04:18 PM   #24
bobo

Yes Darnell did return back to the US a few months ago and has a coaching position over there. I want to say its at a high school or college.
bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2009, 09:44 AM   #25
Homer
Mmm .......... Dohnuts

What ever happened to Axel Dench?
Big Nunawading boy who I'm sure they could find a spot for in their SEABL side.

Never drive faster than angels can fly.
Homer is offline   Reply With Quote